Acting Director, PBM/MISU
Dr. E.A. Agbaje, Acting Director, Planning, Budgeting, Monitoring/ Management Information Systems Unit, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
Personal Profile: I am a graduate with B.Sc. (1984) & M.Sc., (1994) degrees in Psychology and M.Phil. (1999) & Ph.D, (2006) degrees in Business Administration respectively. I have had over twenty-four (24) years working experience in university administration and worked in the various sections of the Obafemi Awolowo University Registry from November 1992 to date. I am currently the Acting Director, Planning, Budgeting, Monitoring/Management Information Systems Unit, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
I have also been privileged to contribute my quota to the development of the Obafemi Awolowo University in various other ways including, as:
- Three-term Secretary to the Strategic Planning Committee for the Obafemi Awolowo University Strategic Plans for the periods: 2004-2008 and 2011-2015; 2016-2020.
- Secretary to the Committee that developed the proposal for the establishment of the Advancement Office; and
- Coordinated the organization of Retreat for members of Governing Council and University Administration on “Policy Frameworks for Transforming Obafemi Awolowo University to a World Class University”.
I have attended several training workshops, seminars and conferences, home and abroad including College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR) Annual Conference and Expo 2014, September 28-30, San Antonio, Texas, USA; 3rd Joint Conference of the Human Resources Management and PR Networks organized by the Association of Commonwealth Universities held from 13-16 July 2014 in Glasgow, UK; Association of University Administrators (AUA) UK, 2008,2010,2011,2013; European Association of International Education (EAIE), 2012; American Association of University Administrators (AAUA)Leadership Seminar, 2010 & 2016 @ Washington DC & San Antonio respectively; 16th International Meeting of University Administrators (IMUA), Vancouver, Canada, 2008; Strategic Leadership Training Workshop for OAU Management Staff, (OAU/STDU), 2008, Association of Nigerian University Professional Administrators annual conference of several years including 2017; Annual Management Conference of the Nigerian Institute Management (Chartered), 2017 etc.
Duties and Responsibilities: As the current Acting Director, Planning, Budgeting, Monitoring/Management Information Systems Unit, I oversee the functions of the Unit. The Planning, Budgeting, Monitoring/Management Information System Unit is the custodian of the University database and source of data for management decision. It is an administrative and professional support arm of the Registry that provide a range of management information and planning data to facilitate informed decision-making, planning and policy formulation for the overall strategic development of the University. The office is the initial point of contact on matters relating to statistical collections. The office also supplies statistical information reports to government agencies in the education and other related sectors. Specifically, the Unit has continued to carry out the following functions, amongst others:
- Development of data bank for planning and budgeting and information system for the University. This is to ensure constant availability of data in the data bank for the development of indices for planning and determination of performance indicators.
- Development of planning parameters and cost saving devices through the use of the modern scientific management methods and tools. This is to ensure the judicious utilization and management of the University’s resources through the use of scientific and modern budgeting techniques.
- Preparation of the annual estimates of the Recurrent Expenditure (in collaboration with the Bursary of the University).
- Development of the Action plan, Academic Brief, Strategic plan, etc. of the University.
- Monitoring of space and other facilities available in the University.
- Evaluation of the resources of the University and planning of the allocation of funds and other resources.
- Assisting in systems development
- Liaison with the National Universities Commission on all issues that pertains to academic planning and quality control of academic programmes.
- Collation of students and staff records for easy accessibility and analysis.
The Unit also services the following major Committees of the University.
- Development Committee
- Academic Planning Sub-Committee
- Finance Sub-Committee
- Space Planning and Allocation Committee
- Committee on Monitoring of the Implementation of the University Strategic Plan and various ad-hoc Committees are constituted from time to time.